Long Weekend Ahead? How to Have the Best Family Staycation in the UAE
Weekends serve as golden opportunities to bond with loved ones. This is particularly crucial in this modern age where everything is so fast-paced that even family life can be so busy.
If your weekdays are filled with a frenzy of parenthood duties, home chores, and social responsibilities, you must ensure that weekends are different, especially those longer than two days. And a good way to do that is by planning a memorable staycation for your family in the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
Wondering what you can do on your next long weekend? Here’s a list of tips you may find helpful, ranging from changing your mindset about a staycation to splurging on Abu Dhabi holiday packages.
1. Adjust your mindset.
Whether you’re going somewhere else in the UAE or staying home, your attitude is the biggest thing that separates a staycation from any typical weekend.
Sometimes called a “holistay” (holiday + stay), a staycation is often described as a form of break where people remain home to enjoy leisure activities within a given period.
However, the modern definition of this portmanteau of “stay” and “vacation” is no longer limited to the four corners of your home. Today, it can also mean staying within a specific hotel or destination while enjoying everything the place has to offer.
Whether you choose to stay home or visit all the theme parks in Abu Dhabi, your attitude determines how well you enjoy your staycation with your family.
2. Set a budget
Parents enjoy vacations best if they’re not worried about using up all their savings. The same rings true for staycations.
To ensure this, you need to come up with a budget for your holistay. List down all the necessary expenses, like hotel accommodation, spa services, or tools and equipment for your itineraries.
Regardless of where you plan to spend your long weekend bonding with your family, you must always have something “special” in store for your brood.
It doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Just consider splurging on some things that could make the long weekend something you and your kids would never forget.
This can come in the form of food, souvenirs, prizes, or even activities within a hotel. You can even spend your staycation at one of the world-famous theme parks on Yas Island. ;
3.Compare all the available options.
If you decide to bring your staycation somewhere other than your house, make sure you compare all the available options and weigh them with your needs and preferences.
If you have small children, choose hotels that cater to them specifically. This way, you – the parents – can also lay back, relax, and enjoy your long weekend break while keeping the youngsters engaged, entertained, and happy.
Of course, the goal of most family vacations is to have fun and get the most value from your money at the same time. This is where Abu Dhabi holiday packages can be quite useful.
Look for group travel promos, like the discounted Group Bookings offered in theme parks on Yas Island. We also have a special offer for Ramadan and limited-time promotions.
4. Plan a flexible itinerary.
Another neat trick to ensure that you and your kids enjoy your UAE staycation is to keep your itinerary flexible.
Don’t plan down to the last minute of the day. Instead, make room for things you may miss because of unforeseen circumstances.
It also pays to set aside ample time for rest, especially if you’re doing three theme parks in three days or even two in a single day. This way, you can have your valuable downtime without having to deal with cranky children.
5. Pack light.When planning staycations held in hotels and other leisure destinations, you must also remember to pack light. Bring just the right amount of clothing based on the length of your stay, not your entire wardrobe.
It also pays to plan around what’s already available at the hotel to avoid duplicates, so you won’t have to carry unnecessarily heavy loads. Most of these accommodations have the essentials, including:
- Sleeping facilities
- Food and drinks
6. Reserve everything ahead of the trip.Speaking of booking, an enjoyable staycation also needs to be booked ahead of the trip itself. This way, you don’t have to wait long and can spend most of your time enjoying the vacation.
And since you’re travelling with kids, you can always benefit from the convenience of having flights, hotels, theme park tickets, and other details reserved ahead. This will ensure that you get access to all the destinations and amenities included in your itinerary during the long weekend.
7. Disconnect from the outside world.The main purpose of your staycation is to bond and enjoy a long weekend with your family. No matter where you choose to spend it, make yourself just as unavailable to outside responsibilities as you would for any of your other vacations.
The first thing you must do to achieve this is to disconnect. Don’t answer calls and messages unrelated to your staycation, and set your email notifications to Do Not Disturb.
This applies to both work-related communication and social obligations outside your immediate family circle.
Stay & Play
Everybody needs the occasional break, and a long weekend staycation is a perfect way to achieve that. Plan the best staycation with your family here at Yas Island Abu Dhabi and make wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.
Send us a message and book your staycation today.
Getting To Yas island
Yas Express is our complimentary shuttle bus service that can get you to any of the major island attractions. For more information, timetable and map, download the pocket guide or call +971 (0) 600 511115.
- To Yas Island:
- Boarding spots are available at the Deira City Center entrance (beside Aloft Hotel) and Ibn Battuta Mall, Parking 7 stop (right in front of the China Court section).
- Within Yas Island:
- The shuttle service bus can take guests to any of the major island attractions.
- Air travel to Yas Island
- If you're coming from outside the UAE, aim to land in Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH), as it is located just 10 minutes away from Yas Island.
- Rental car to Yas Island
- From Abu Dhabi International Airport, you can rent a car. All car rental offices operate 24/7
- Connect to the Wi-Fi at Abu Dhabi International Airport and book an Uber or Careem via their apps.
- Taxis to Yas Island
- You can take a taxi to Yas Island from Abu Dhabi International Airport (10 minutes), Abu Dhabi (25 minutes), and Dubai (45 minutes). To get a taxi, you can flag them down at the roadside, call the TransAD hotline 600 535353 to book, or use the Abu Dhabi Taxi app available for both iOS and Android platforms. Taxis are plentiful and fares are reasonable.
- From Abu Dhabi:
- Board the 102 Bus Route to Yas Island at the Abu Dhabi Bus Station next to Al Wahda Mall.
- From Dubai:
- Travel to the Dubai Al Ghubaiba Bus Station to ride to the Abu Dhabi Bus Station, then board the 102 Bus Route to Yas Island.